Friday 31 January 2014

Review: really cheap tank from a cheap store: Part II

I added some bits and bobs to the tank kit, gluing some tubes onto the underside of the turret and the hull, then some bits of plasticard to fill in gaps. Then I added some details to the vehicle, then found an old 1/48 (?) Challenger II kit I've had lying around for years. I snapped a few pictures so you can see the peculiarities of the kits. It isn't quite clear if they're supposed to be the same type of tank, given the differences between the Challenger I and II. It's worth reiterating that I cut down Grey's barrel, whereas Khaki's is at factory-standard length. I am toying with the idea of using these vehicles as something for small skirmish games. We'll see where that goes.

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Star Fleet: Planets

Just a bit more on the terrain front here. A few large baubles scored in two and redecorated with GS or Milliput, some covering in sand, a bit of paint. Destroyer again for scale.

Monday 27 January 2014

Star Fleet: Planetoids

Since it was Christmas, I picked up some Christmas baubles going cheap. Last year I picked some up and glued them on sticks, but this year I decided to halve them to make some wee planetoids and planets. I carved the baubles along the joining line. Not all baubles are equal, so a few shattered in this attempt, and ended up in the bin. Most of them were fine, so I advanced to the next stage. In the majority of cases, I just glued some sand on them, applied a layer of diluted PVA glue on that, and painted over that. Some of them I lavished with more attention. I used Greenstuff or Milliput to make some continents on some, and some others I covered in a layer of putty, then carved lines in it to make a fractured volcanic planet and some ice worlds. The destroyer is for scale. More to follow.

Monday 13 January 2014

Terrain: Ominous Ruins

I had a hankering to make some terrain the other day, so grabbed a few CDs, the hot glue gun, and some other bits and bobs. I shan't recount the construction process, as it's the same as ever. Here are the results with a Cadian for scale.

Friday 10 January 2014

Star Fleet: Destroyer Squadron WIP

Some time ago I decided to carve up a spare heavy cruiser to make a destroyer for my Star Fleet forces. This took a bit of work, as it was made of metal, so I resolved to chop up my resin heavy cruiser and battlecruiser once I had a new fleet through from Wayland. Unfortunately, they weren't able to get the fleet, so I decided to go ahead anyway. The cruiser will be a similar missile-armed destroyer like the original conversion: a DDG in SFU parlance. The battlecruiser, which has a larger bridge and an apparent gunnery deck at the bottom of the neck connecting it to its nacelle, will be serving as a destroyer leader, a DDL, utilising Gorn Plasma Torpedoes in place of the missiles. I have bashed together some suitable stats for the time-being, until these get official SF: ACTA sanction from ADB. Unfortunately, I snapped my last drillbit for my pin vice, so until a replacement arrives via Ebay I can't do much with these lads. I have a few leftover bits, so I already have another conversion in mind for another ship. More on that anon. For now, here's the squadron as it currently stands. I'll be taking this opportunity to make some modifications to the original destroyer conversion, too.

Wednesday 1 January 2014

Happy New Year!

I hope the New Year is better than the last, and sees you accomplish all you desire!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...