Tuesday 21 December 2010

Walls and Hero Quest

I've mainly been working on a number of old Hero Quest miniatures as the aforementioned Christmas present, and I painted a couple of walls following the formula given by b.smoove here: http://agentlemansones.blogspot.com/2010/12/recipe-stone-and-bone.html He's got several other recipes for colours up - red, black and gold come to mind, so he might painting a German flag ;-) - which you might like to take a look at. Anyway, here are the walls:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are the Hero Quest miniatures. A pair (I think two more must be hiding in my attics) of Chaos Warriors. I have attempted throughout this Hero Quest painting period an ideal of making each of these identically moulded models appear to have some measure of individuality. So one of these fellows received a base coat of Citadel Colour Burnish Gold (I don't know if this colour still exists - the pot is round, and the lid old, white and plastic). I put a wash of Thraka Green over that, then a drybrush of Citadel Colour Burnish Gold, then a lighter drybrush of modern Citadel Colour Mithril Silver. His gloves, boots and the wood of his axe received a coat of Dheneb Stone Foundation Paint. I washed Ogryn Flesh over the gloves and boots, and the Devlan Mud wash over them and over the axe's bit. For the axe itself, I mixed Boltgun Metal with Adeptus Battlegrey Foundation as a base. Then I worked up slowly, drybrushing with Boltgun Metal, then Chainmail, then Silver. The chainmail at the crotch has received a wash of Badab Black to make it seem a bit distinct from the rest of the armour. Frankly, I find it a bit too dull, so I'm glad I only used it there and on the reverse of the model. The grip of the axe I shall deal with in a moment. I picked out the helmet slit in black.

The reddish-hued model received a base coat of Brazen Brass and Tin Bitz mixed together. Then it was washed with Baal Red, and drybrushed that with the same mixture and a little Chainmail. The gloves, boots, axe-blade and heft got the same treatment as on the other Warrior. Having done the initial work, I wanted to bind the two models together. Since one was greenish and the other reddish, I decided to use the main hue of each as the spot colour of the other. The green-hued Warrior received a red handle for his axe, and the red-hued Warrior a green one. The green grip received a base of Orkhide Shade, and highlights of Goblin Green. This was then washed with Thraka Green. The red handle received a Mechrite Red base, which was highlighted with a mixture of Blood Red and Blazing Orange. A Baal Red Wash then united the colours.

Photobucket

I have a feeling that the rest of these models' colour-schemes can be divined from these photographs, but if you do have any questions, by all means, let me know.

There's an octet of Orcs, a quartet of skeletons, and a septet of Goblins
. There's a trio of heroes, too, with an Elf who cunningly hid throughout the photo session, and has only just reappeared as I type this!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...