Wednesday 4 May 2011

AS90 kitbashing

I cannot recall when I bought this model. About ten years ago sounds probable. It is a 1/35 scale AS90, the British Army's self-propelled 155mm gun. If you own the kit and have been peering closely at my various models, you may have deduced I had it. I have, you see, been nabbing bits from her transfer sheet for a while. Anyway, I decided some time ago to convert her to a Baneblade, but I immediately ran into the problem that she does not conform to the dimensions. She is only a little too short, but she is far too thin. What I have done thus far is prise all the stowage boxes, spare track links and other small fragile pieces off the sides of the turret, and glued some 0.25mm plasticard over the damage. I have not got round to the top of the turret yet, as I am toying with how best to approach the rounded edge that separates the top and sides. I have also added to the barrel. The original forepart broke off years ago, and currently is happily seated on one of my Leman Russ Vanquishers. I initially thought to use the whole Baneblade barrel, but this would both make the result over-long and be accompanied by the problem of mould-lines and present a greater challenge to weld to the existing hind-barrel structure. So off with the Baneblade muzzle and out with the plasticard tubing.

At this point I decided against fielding it as a Baneblade. There really is no halfway sensible manner in which I can attach the requisite Demolisher Cannon to the fore hull. So I currently have in mind to field it in Apoc games as a Macharius hull equipped with a Baneblade cannon. I have a few "field coverted" units in my army, such as the first Stormblade, so it will fit in nicely with this theme. I will not be attaching side sponsons, as there is nowhere for them to go except the sides of the huge turret. I might be able to place a twin-linked Heavy Stubber somewhere on the fore-hull, but I shall probably place one or two such weapons atop the turret to be served by the commander and gunner (or whoever else is free within the Behemoth). In the style of Forgeworld, I might place a Heavy Bolter on one side of the main gun. These are my thoughts, but they are incomplete, as you see. Obviously, I shall knock up some skirts and decide what to do about the engine. The AS90 has a rear hatch, you see, where Games Workshop superheavies typically have their engines, so I must choose whether to retain this or to craft a large set of exhausts and augment the rear. I am currently minded to retain the top and side hatches, but may cover over the fore-hull access and engine-related positions. This depends on my final thoughts about the layout of the vehicle. Anyway, here are some pictures of the beasty alone and then together with the current Stormblade (whom I might name Cedric - not for any reason beyond whimsy).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...