Wednesday 27 July 2011

Extraordinary!

Yep, it's another day like yesterday. Hah! I deceive you, of course. An order turned up from 4D Modelshop, so I am now rich in plasticard. I went out to a small local shop and acquired some foamboard and more poly cement. The Post Office experienced a nationwide failure of its PIN machines, preventing pensioners from drawing their pensions and everyone else from paying for postage with their debit cards. That said, like yesterday I have been working on this and that. I have again been watching black and white comedies. I just concluded I'm All Right Jack, which had followed Private's Progress. It's tedious to apply this many rivets to that model and that many to this vehicle. Mais c'est necessaire! I assure you, mesdames et messieurs, that I speak the truth. Vraiment!

I babbled yesterday about how one should expose oneself to different authors, and I will very briefly expand on that. A relative of mine by marriage stowed away as a child on a Norwegian ship, where he remained for more than a year, apparently. I presume they had some unusual schedules or the Second World War interposed. On the ship only the captain spoke English, so he was compelled to learn Norwegian to have even a slightly normal life. There's something in that, you know. He was totally immersed in a foreign language, and picked it up. It directed his mind onto new and unexpected pathways. Travel, as the phrase goes, broadens the mind. You can broaden your mind with reading, expanding your mental horizons by means of the written word, but some things really are better experienced in full. A book can tell you of love, but it cannot make you feel all the right emotions.

"What the Hell has this got to do with a wargaming blog, you red-headed idiot?" Erm, good question albeit a little rude. A little rude? Very! "What do you think you're playing at?" Shall I extemporise a lie? Here we go. Mm, right. I have plasticard. I don't know if I can make anything of it until I cut, file and shape it, adorn it and make a simulacrum of a vehicle. The theory then meets up with the practice. This doesn't make the theory bad. It simply lacks completeness until it is tried. The British Admiral Jackie Fisher once declared "The best scale for an experiment is twelve inches to the foot." In short, make a test as realistic as it can be. With that I leave you. Be well, dear reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...